Contempt / Enforcement

Family law cases are by nature, difficult to deal with, especially when one party is refusing to comply with court orders. Court orders/agreements are often very detailed and will include specifics, such as visitation schedules for minor children, child support payments and due dates, spousal support payments and due dates, and dates for division of the assets. Like all other states, when a case in Georgia is final, a final Order will be entered. Unfortunately, there are always some people who choose to disregard the terms of the court orders. If this happens, there are options available for those whose spouse has failed to follow a court order. Having the representation of a knowledgeable and experienced lawyer is important, particularly when someone chooses not to follow a court order.

What Does it Mean to be Held in Contempt of Court?

Contempt of court is an extremely serious issue. A willful act means something is being done intentionally and voluntarily. Contempt of court is a serious issue that may result in criminal charges, fines or additional court orders, so it is essential that you hire an experienced divorce lawyer when court orders are being violated and negatively impacting your family.  It is also essential that you hire a lawyer if you are being accused of violating a court order.  

Contempt of Court in Family Law

Contempt of court can occur when an individual does something that hinders compliance with a court order. For instance, if child or spousal support is court ordered and your ex-spouse has the ability to pay, but is refusing to pay, it is thought to be a violation of the court order. In family law, one party may be held in contempt for a variety of reasons, including:

  • Failure to pay court ordered child and/or spousal support
  • Failure to follow custody and visitation schedules
  • Failure to follow property division orders
  • Failure to pay court-ordered attorney fees
  • Violation of a domestic violence restraining order

The consequences of being found in contempt of court may be severe and can include extensive fines and possibly even jail time. If you are frustrated by your spouse or ex-spouse’s attempt to not abide by the court order, your divorce lawyer can help you hold them accountable. We will explain your options in detail, guide you through the actions you need to take and help you get these matters back on track. We are fully dedicated and very passionate about the success of our clients. Here at the Platt Family Law Firm, we assist our clients by fully investigating the matter at hand to provide the most equitable outcome for our clients.

It is also a serious matter when you are accused of violating a court order.  Whether or not you have violated an order, if a contempt action is filed against you, you are going to need legal representation.  At Platt Family Law, we are dedicated to representing you in this situation, if needed.  

To discuss contempt of court or any other family law issues you may be dealing with, contact the Platt Family Law Firm.